If we go by figures, we find that Huawei G8 was a decent phone released in October 2015. Preliminary launched with Android Lollipop firmware, it couldn’t update beyond the Marshmallow. And until you unlock your phone, you wouldn’t be able to update it further through third-party custom firmware. In that regard, we have this tutorial. We will help you unlock the bootloader on your Huawei G8 smartphone. So you can tweak it further for better performance, install the latest Android firmware and get the most out of this smartphone.
If you’re one of those users and are interested in rooting your Huawei G8, the first thing you need to do is unlock the bootloader of Huawei G8. And you’re in the right place to do so because in this article we’re going to provide you with the procedure that you can follow to unlock the bootloader this smartphone easily. Thus, if you ever wish to customize your phone or update the firmware, you would need to perform this action first. Surely, this action voids the warranty of this device.
Since it was launched three years ago and the OEM has already put off their hands providing further support, unlocking bootloader, rooting it and performing further actions should worth a try. In that way, you can enjoy your phone. This smartphone features some good specifications that include 3 GB RAM, Octa-core Snapdragon processor, dedicated Adreno 405 graphics and good enough storage space. With just a few tweaks, you can easily manage to bring out better performance, user experience, and productivity out of this smartphone.
Basically, the bootloader is a program that contains some important code that the phone requires to boot up, and sync with the operating system. It resists third-party applications and services make changes in Android OS. And thus, you won’t be able to tweak your phone extensively or install a custom firmware until you get rid of this protective layer. Because bootloader is essential for a phone to boot up, we cannot remove it permanently. Instead, we can unlock it and that’s enough for us to take over this phone completely. During this tutorial, we would discuss the working method to unlock the bootloader on Huawei G8 smartphone.
This is a custom operation, so it does include some risk of losing files and end up messing up things. Therefore, we highly recommend you to backup everything that is important saved within the internal memory of the phone. Either you can keep a copy on PC or sync files to online services like Google Drive, DropBox, etc. You should take further measures to ensure that you won’t lose your phone. Before we proceed further, below are some important prerequisites that we should discuss.
- Backup all your important data from the device because this procedure can wipe your phone completely.
- Download the unlocking tools from here and extract the data from Zip file to a new folder named Huawei G8.
- Now inside the Huawei G8 folder, you just created, execute UniversalAdbDriverSetup6.msi file. This will install ADB on your PC.
- Enable developer options on your phone by navigating to Settings >> About Phone and tapping the build number 7 – 10 times.
- Enable OEM Unlock on your phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options >> Activate OEM Unlock.
That’s it for prerequisites. Next step is to obtain an unlock code from Huawei’s website.
Obtaining the Unlock Code:
You don’t need any third-party software to unlock the bootloader of your Huawei G8. Unlike other smartphone makers, Huawei has realized the fact that those who want to do such things almost always find out the ways to do them.
Therefore, this Taiwanese giant has itself granted its users the permission to unlock the bootloader of their devices. All you need to do now is obtain an unlock code from their website and use it to unlock the bootloader.
Follow the steps given below to get your unlock code:
- Visit hwid5.vmall.com and register for a Huawei ID, if you don’t have one already. On the other hand, if you already have one then log in.
- Once you’re logged into the site will show you an Unlocking Agreement, which basically outlines all the risks of unlocking your phone’s bootloader. Accept the agreement by checking its checkbox in the bottom and hit “Next” button.
- Now you’ll be asked to enter the model number of your device. Find it from Settings >> About Phone and enter it in the field provided on the website.
- After the model number, you’ll have to enter the serial number of your device. That too can be obtained from an About Device section of the settings. Just follow the path Settings >> About Phone >> Status and enter the serial number on the site.
- Now you need to enter the IMEI number of your device. Get it from Settings >> About Phone >> Status >> IMEI.
- Finally, you need to enter the product ID of your phone. To find it just close the Settings app, navigate to your phone dialer, type *#*#1357946#*#* and enter the product ID shown on screen to the website.
- Submit the details and you’ll be provided an unlock code by the site.
Now let’s move to the main unlocking part.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Huawei G8:
- Turn off your phone, connect it to PC via USB cable and hold the Volume down button along with Power button for some time. Your phone will boot in fastboot mode and you’ll see PHONE Locked and FRP Unlock messages on the screen.
- On your PC navigate to the Huawei G8 folder you created during prerequisites and launch a command prompt there.
- In the command prompt enter following command:
- fastboot oem unlock YOUR_UNLOCK_CODE
That’s it! Once your bootloader is unlocked, you’ll be shown a success message. Now you can disconnect your phone and start using it. And don’t delete your Huawei G8 folder because you can use that folder to root this smartphone.
You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Huawei G8 smartphone. Thereafter, you can proceed to further tweaks and customization like root, custom firmware, apps, and similar ones. These things will give you more access this phone and customize it properly. We hope that our readers would find this helpful. If you have any problem or issue, do let us know. We would do our best to help you further.