Did you know that there are ways to make money with a Discord server? Even though we don’t usually associate this online messaging application with a source of income, it is possible to make money using a server. That’s why today we’re going to explain how to make money on Discord with methods we can all apply.
Over the years, Discord has become the meeting point for millions of people around the world, its popularity is due to the power of reach it possesses, as users can interact in multiple ways or share the content of their interest through the channels, this being one of the best ways to generate income with Discord.
Although there are many other messaging platforms, Discord has proven to be by far the most comprehensive, as it is full of tools that facilitate great real-time interaction between users in its community. All these features made it possible for this service to go from being used only by gamers, being its target audience, to being used for different purposes such as: internal messaging at work, areas of interest or meeting points.
Taking advantage of the benefits of this platform is a plus, but the fact that there are methods to earn money with a Discord server makes it even better, as you can create a community and interact with the people who participate in the chats or channels that can be created on the servers.
Let’s take a look at the best ways to monetise Discord!
Discord: What is it and how does it work?
Since its founding in 2015, Discord has offered an instant messaging service with which we can chat, make high-quality video calls and talk by voice, in real-time and without delays. Designed as a cross-platform application, it is possible to install it on computers, mobile devices or use it as a web version, facilitating access to its 250 million global users.
In addition to its all-in-one functions, in Discord, we can create channels and chat rooms to interact with groups of friends, with people with whom we have interests in common or followers from social networks, with the possibility of doing so privately or publicly. It also allows different types of files to be sent while carrying out other activities, screen sharing, the attachment of other users to servers or chatrooms through open links, or the creation of groups for access by invitation.
Although the platform does not offer direct tools to generate profits, it is possible to do so by using its infrastructure to perform multiple actions; taking advantage of the service’s features, we can design different methods to earn money with a Discord server. In addition, we have the advantage that the service has more and more users, so its growth increases the possibilities of generating income with Discord. Every day, more and more people are creating servers to share content on a topic they are passionate about, which can be monetised as long as they do not violate any of the platform’s terms or conditions.
On the other hand, Discord is based on a freemium business model; we can enjoy the basic services for free and access the premium features by paying a monthly subscription. With all these features, Discord diversifies from similar applications such as Skype, Zoom or TeamSpeak; as they do not offer the same level of security, nor as many advanced, complete and beneficial tools.
The platform has been designed following the voice over internet protocol (VoIP), which provides all the necessary tools to perform multiple activities without requiring the complementary services of another application. As a freemium service, Discord offers the following features:
- Add new contacts in an unlimited way.
- Connect with contacts through voice chat services.
- It is possible to use the application on the phone and on the computer, receiving updates and new messages in all initiated sessions.
- We can customise notifications.
- It offers one of the best services in terms of privacy, which is why it is widely used by those who wish to remain anonymous.
- It has encrypted client-server communication, which provides a high level of security and protection against DDoS attacks, so the IP address of the users is kept safe.
- It allows users with programming skills to add bots to their servers so that they can enhance their functionality as they wish. In fact, today we can find many bots with various functions available, created by developers for their servers.
- It operates using minimal CPU resources and has low latency.
- It has a page called Discord StreamKit, which includes tools and integrations for streamers, which can be integrated into the Discord server to maximise its potential. Additionally, it is possible to add applications such as Twitch, YouTube, Twinge, Nightbot and Muxy.
- It has a new function that allows quick and easy integration of its platform with the video games that are being played, which is called Discord Rich Presence, gamers can see the game screen of their friends, thus sharing the games. In addition, you can perform various actions such as: send invitations to teammates, make multiple games in party mode or just watch them as spectators.
- Multiple features include custom hotkeys, game overlays, modern text chat, creation of multiple channels organised in chronological order, private messaging, smart push notifications and profile tab.
What makes Discord so special?
Unlike other online instant messaging applications, Discord has a wide range of advanced options. Some of its most important features, with which you can earn money, are:
1. Creation of servers and channels.
The platform works on the basis of servers, which are spaces where users meet for multiple purposes. The servers can have a wide variety of themes, adapting to the niche of each owner.
Channels, on the other hand, are small sections into which it is possible to subdivide them, attributing specific functions, special content and conferring voice or text options, all according to the needs of each owner. For example, it is possible to create a server whose central theme is series and create channels for different titles, being able to apply the same formula with multiple niches.
2. Add friends and send invitations.
To grow the community of a Discord server, it is necessary to have users who interact in the channels. The platform provides several alternatives, including being able to invite friends through personal invitations, add them manually to the platform or create a link so that anyone can join the community.
3. Incorporate bots into channels.
All channels created within a Discord server, have the possibility to include bots to complement the functions that allow more enriching experiences for users, this being one of the most valued functions. It works in a similar way to that used in other applications such as Telegram, as it is possible to configure them as tools for specific purposes, download them or create them using programming.
The platform supports the integration of any type of bot as long as it does not present a problem with the terms and conditions. There are bots for all kinds of tasks, such as: notifications about actions carried out within the server, welcoming new members to the server, recording audio, providing music to users in real-time, moderators, among others.
4. Integration with other applications.
It allows simple and quick integration with other tools such as YouTube, Twitch, Xbox Live, Facebook, Reddit or Steam; so that users can make broadcasts or share items smoothly.
Want to create a Discord server?
Step 1: How to sign up for Discord
To get started, you need to open an account on your server. Additionally, it should be noted that these steps can be done in the same way on their smartphone app, desktop app or web version. Let’s start with the steps to register on the platform:
- Go to the Discord registration page.
- Complete the registration form, including username, email, password, date of birth and phone number.
- Read the terms and conditions of the platform and accept them.
- Access your email and look for an email from Discord, which will be used to verify your identity. This process can also be done by a code sent by SMS to the phone number you provided.
That’s it! You have now created your Discord account.
Step 2: How to create a Discord server
Discord servers are channels on which it is possible to perform multiple activities such as posting content, interacting through video calls, sharing mobile screens, among others. To be successful monetising, it is necessary to create and manage a server that is able to attract and maintain a large community, so it is necessary to choose a specific theme. To create a server, follow these steps:
- On the main screen of your Discord, on the left-hand side there is a “+” symbol; this is used to create new servers.
- Depending on the theme on which you will base your server, you will have to choose from the options provided by Discord. The platform offers two alternatives: create your own template, rooms for video games, rooms for communicating with friends, study rooms, spaces for artists and content creators, clubs or create a community. The important thing is that you choose the one that best suits your niche.
- Now, choose whether to create a public server (for a club or community) or a private server (for me and my friends).
- Select a photo, which will be the central image of the server and will be the one that other users will see when they access the server.
- Indicate the name of the server. As a suggestion, choose a short name that can be seen easily and without shortening.
- That’s it! You have now created your Discord server. Now all that’s left to do is to customise its functions, create channels that bring your community to life and invite acquaintances.
5 Ways To Make Money With A Discord Server
The platform itself does not offer direct tools to generate income; however, it is possible to do so by taking advantage of its infrastructure to perform multiple actions. By utilising the features and possibilities provided by the service, we can create new ways to monetise Discord.
So how do you make money on Discord? The answer is: with a server. You need to create servers for commercial purposes for any of the methods we will provide you with, and they must comply with the terms and conditions stipulated by the platform. Once you have the commercial information you need to include when creating your server, you can choose from the best ways to generate income with Discord available:
1. Become an advertiser
With this alternative, they will use their previous popularity to get started, they can leverage their influence to recommend third-party Discord servers to earn money in return. In this way, the owners will pay them in exchange for the server to advertise their sites in their communities.
This works in the same way as Influencer Marketing, as they can establish partnerships with brands or other users, to advertise various types of services, products or media content. However, this method is only viable if they have a large number of participants on their channel or server.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing is an excellent alternative to monetize any website or social media profile, but it can also be applied to online messaging services such as Discord, so if you know about it, now is the time to apply it.
By creating a server with a specific niche, they will be able to promote affiliate links and generate commissions for each sale as they grow and the level of traffic increases. In this way, the more sales you make, the more you earn, and the more you increase your revenue from increased web traffic.
3. Create a bot with paid features
Like many other services, it is possible to create bots on Discord, which will be extremely useful for making money by taking advantage of the servers. Using the programming language and open-source codes, you can create bots with basic features that allow you to incorporate functions to make money, either to support the content creator, to make a profit or similar ideas.
On the other hand, online you can find a wide variety of free Discord bots, which have been created by users of the platform to add extra features to their channels. They are an excellent option for server owners who do not have programming language skills.
However, the best way to make money with a Discord bot is to create it and charge a commission for each time it is installed on another server so that you regularly earn passive income. The important thing, in this case, is to design bots with different themes, uses and target audiences, but always keeping in mind that the goal is to monetise.
4. Create special communities for Patreons
Content creators have a special advantage in their favour, and that is that they have online communities that are generally willing to support their work on micro-patronage platforms such as Patreon or Ko-Fi, which will increase their chances of generating income.
To succeed by following a joint strategy, they can grant exclusive access to a private server on Discord to all backers who show their support on their chosen crowdfunding platform. They can obtain special benefits such as having voice conversations, getting to know how they make their content through video calls, sharing screens and maintaining greater contact. In this way, not only will they be able to monetise indirectly through Discord, but they will also get closer to the people who support their work.
5. Organise competitions
Although in recent years the platform has started to be used for work and recreational purposes, we must remember that the target audience and the largest percentage of its users are video gamers. Therefore, if you manage a server that contains a large community of gamers or video game fans, you can organise tournaments within the server; the only requirement for participation is the payment of a small amount (such as $1 USD or an amount that is accessible to any user) for registration. In this way, players will be able to share their screens in real-time, while other users watch the games being played, thus taking advantage of the tools available on the platform and generating income according to the proportion of their community.
On the other hand, to get a good number of players to sign up for the tournament, it is necessary to offer a prize to the winner; this can be a percentage of the total amount raised with the entries, a previously stipulated figure or some item that is of interest to the participants, but that does not represent a significant expense for the organiser. In this way, people will be eager to participate in the tournament and will not mind paying the small subscription fee.
Discord is a service that offers multiple tools to its users, which can be used for different purposes, not only for work or entertainment. This is because the platform has a sufficiently complete infrastructure to allow us to create different ways of monetising Discord.
It should be noted that even if you use several of the methods to earn money with a Discord server, the earnings may be somewhat low at first, since it is necessary to progressively feed the community, taking advantage of the functions of the service. However, it is essential to implement some strategies, so that more people become interested and collaborate in your proposals.
We must remember that monetisation methods require the support of users, so it is necessary to be cautious when charging to avoid losing participation in the servers. As they gain experience with server management, they will be able to design new ways to monetise Discord; creating strategies that are perfectly suited to their community and the content they provide.
On the other hand, the platform announced that it is in the process of creating options to earn money using its servers; with no estimated date for implementation. In the meantime, however, you can apply some of the best ways to generate income with Discord that we’ve learned today.