Play-to-earn gaming is taking the world by storm, now gamers can earn cryptocurrencies, digital assets, NFTs and crypto-collectables by doing an activity they love. However, to develop this activity as it should, it is necessary to have at least one wallet that facilitates them to make transactions safely and smoothly, but what are the best wallets to store tokens? In this list, we gather some of the best cryptocurrency wallets to store tokens and NFTs earned in games online.
We are about to explore a list of the most favourable alternatives for storing digital assets; all with unique features and explained, so that you can analyse which one best suits your needs. Let’s get to know the best wallets for storing earned tokens:
Utility and versatility: why use compatible wallets?
Currently, Ethereum is the most popular platform for the creation of smart contracts, blockchain-based applications and NFT tokens, due to the fact that between 2017 and 2018 there was a significant increase in projects developed in this crypto-ecosystem.
This led to the platform becoming the most popular network for such transactions. While waiting for new investors to join, there was a high demand for compatible and secure wallets, capable of storing ERC-20, ERC-721 and ERC-1155 tokens; which have fungible and non-fungible properties, respectively.
The wallets have other characteristics that differentiate them and make them the best choice for storing tokens earned in video games:
- Compatibility: In addition to holding a wide range of tokens; they are compatible with multiple operating systems such as iOS, Mac, Android, Windows and Linux.
- Private keys: Provide full owner access to their tokens and wallet.
- Backup and restore: To recover and store hosted files quickly and easily.
- Easy to use: Intuitive, minimalist designs and excellent user interfaces.
- Developer communities: Most have active developers, so you’ll always find improvements.
Top 9: The best wallets to store tokens and NFTs
The wallets we will present below are compatible with most of the popularly used tokens; they also have all the features presented in the previous section. In turn, they can be used to store tokens won in video games, as well as NFT art or cryptocurrencies; with which they will have multiple uses. Now, we will tell you which are the best options to store NFT and cryptocurrencies:
It is an open source wallet, based on Ethereum’s web API, it can automatically interact with exchanges without the need for the user to perform any action. Once the application detects the Metamask extension, it is enabled and gives access, with a process similar to when smartphones detect compatible apps.
This wallet has the particularity that its structure was designed as a browser extension, so it can be used comfortably, without having to open other applications and without the need to configure it. It can interact with DApps (Distributed Autonomous Applications) and smart contracts without complications, as there is no need to install software to make it work.
Metamask has proven to be a dynamic wallet, as its developers designed the platform for quick access and control over your funds, through the keywords generated during the account linking phase. In addition, the browser extension can not only be used as a wallet to store ERC-20 tokens (such as cryptocurrencies, SLP, silver or gold) or ERC-721 (NFT or crypto-collectables); it can also act as a browser for the Ethereum blockchain to access other DApps such as CryptoKitties.
All these features have made Metamask one of the best token wallets and one of the most widely used in the world, especially by users looking for a place to store tokens earned in play-to-earn games. Such is the case, that Axie Infinity’s 400,000+ video gamers use this wallet as a means of managing earned SLPs.
- The extension is available for multiple browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Brave and Opera.
- Allows the same functions as an Ethereum wallet, such as buying or selling tokens, allowing quick access.
- Automatically interacts with exchanges, applications and websites; facilitating transactions.
- It generates its own asymmetric keys and stores them locally, making it a highly secure wallet.
- No configurations are required.
- Ideal wallet for storing Axies, SLP, lands, items and other Axie Infinity items.
2. Trust Wallet
This wallet has gained popularity in recent years, thanks to its great compatibility with platforms such as Binance, where it is possible to make multiple transactions in a few steps. Like Metamask, Trust is an open-source wallet based on the Ethereum blockchain with an integrated Web3 browser, features that allow users to access DApps directly.
Trust Wallet offers full support for all ERC-20 and ERC-223 tokens available on the market; making it an excellent alternative for storing cryptocurrencies and writing off a lower gas fee (the fee paid when transacting with tokens). This is a particularly attractive feature for gamers, as transactions in crypto-games tend to have a high cost, which would give them a better overall return. In addition, the wallet is partnered with Kyber Network, allowing users to make instant decentralised exchange transactions.
- It has official apps available for iOS and Android devices.
- High compatibility with major exchanges such as Binance.
- Supports ERC-223 tokens, which are more efficient and require less gas.
- Developed with Web3 browser, which allows users to access DApps and other websites directly without having to access the wallet.
3. Ledger Nano
Ledger Nano is a hardware wallet, designed to store ERC-20 tokens such as ETH, BTC, LTC, DASH, among others. Popularly known as “the original wallet”, it was the first to use cold technology. That is, it allows tokens to be stored offline, which makes it one of the safest alternatives to protect against external attacks. In addition, the wallet’s built-in applications have intuitive interfaces that make it easier for users to make transactions, contributing to a more holistic experience.
While the idea of having a cold wallet may seem unappealing to them, the reality is that they provide an unparalleled level of protection; a quality that can be highly valued by crypto-video gamers who handle large sums of tokens or wish to store them for long periods of time, in search of a significant increase in their value.
- It has a comprehensive security system that goes beyond the offline system: built-in security pin, seed keys, keywords and passphrases.
- Allows you to store more than 24 different cryptocurrencies on a single device.
- Active team of developers constantly adding new features.
- OLED screen and physical buttons to monitor and verify transactions as they are made on the computer.
4. Guarda Wallet
It is considered a pioneer in the range of wallets for storing earned tokens; because it is ideal for users who wish to store a wide variety of tokens, with versatile access from any device, operating system or web configuration.
One of the functionalities most valued by users is that it allows exchanges of funds, conversions between different cryptocurrencies and other transactions; without having daily limits, without exhaustive records and with few security checks. Additionally, Guarda Wallet does not store customers’ personal information on its servers, making it highly secure and private.
This series of peculiarities can be taken advantage of by the more cautious crypto-video gamers, in addition to taking advantage of the benefits in terms of security, cryptocurrency compatibility and versatility.
- Maximum compatibility with most tokens, cryptocurrencies and altcoins available in the crypto-ecosystem.
- Widest cross-platform availability: web version, desktop version, Chrome extension, Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android.
- Private keys are stored on users’ devices, adding an extra layer of security and privacy.
- It has an integrated buying service, with which they can buy or sell cryptocurrencies without having to leave the wallet.
- It allows users to reclaim gas from the NEO network.
The Trezor hardware wallet has limited access, as it is only possible to power it and access its user interface when it is connected to a computer. Moreover, it is one of the most secure wallets currently available on the market, as after its first connection it will request the creation of a 12-digit access code that must be provided for future transactions. In this way, the investor can make use of the code to regain access to their lost funds, in case the device is lost or damaged.
On the other hand, this cold wallet is designed to offer a maximum level of security for ETH tokens, making it ideal for play-to-earn gamers, as most of these games are based on the Ethereum network. Additionally, it allows for incredible password management; features that make this wallet a solid choice for storing your earned tokens.
- Sleek, minimalist design, incorporates a touch screen, physical buttons and a magnetic dock that allows it to be held from almost any surface.
- Unique backup function, designed to display a personal recovery code.
- Long-lasting device.
- Ease of use and user-friendly interface.
- How to create an NFT step by step [Complete Guide]
- Axie Infinity: A New Game To Earn Cryptocurrencies
With a significant increase in cybercrime cases and the abundant spread of malware rising by the day, it is understandable that many people are sceptical about storing tokens online. However, MEW is a digital wallet that offers services based on open source, which ensures that personal information and digital assets are safeguarded. This is possible because the wallet does not store any data on its server and the browser generates only the relevant data.
It is an excellent option for players who wish to secure their ethers in an online system. However, although the platform offers a good service, it claims that no online system is 100% secure against potential cybercrime, so if you want a system with the highest level of trust it is best to choose a hardware wallet such as Trezor or Ledger Nano.
It is one of the most used wallets by Albion Online players.
- It has seamless communication with smart contracts by occupying ERC-20 tokens.
- It is presented as one of the best wallets for storing digital assets online.
- User-friendly interface, easy to use and 24/7 support.
7. Parity Ethereum Wallet
Parity is a compilation of software that runs on Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)-based blockchains, i.e. it acts as a client on the platform’s public network. It is a highly recommended option for Ethereum enthusiasts, as it allows users to access multiple functions such as wallets for full node tokens, GUI browser and provide access to decentralised applications.
On the other hand, Parity Wallet also has a very active development team that releases updates every six weeks as part of its plan to provide the best service to users. In addition, Parity is expected to implement native support for ERC-223 tokens in the coming weeks, which have improved correlation to ERC-20 tokens and require less gas for transactions. Like Trust Wallet, this is a highly recommended option for gamers who must make many consecutive transactions and wish to minimise commission payments; as is the case with BladesCrypto.
- Service directly linked to the Ethereum blockchain.
- Offers wallet services, access to DApps and Ethereum GUI browser.
- Available on multiple platforms such as MacOS, Windows, Ubuntu and Docker.
8. Coinomi Wallet
This crypto wallet provides support for more than 80 cryptocurrencies to date, making it one of the largest and most diverse cryptocurrency wallets in the world. Coinomi’s infrastructure is designed so that keys are kept private and stored directly on the mobile device, making them much more secure than if they were hosted in the cloud or on its servers. It also provides users with a master password to protect their accounts against malware of all kinds and hackers.
The company claims to be the most convenient, versatile and fastest solution for blockchain transactions. Consequently, all these qualities make Coinomi Wallet a viable alternative for gamers who wish to store their tokens in an online wallet.
- Easy and quick access from iOS and Android devices.
- Provides security for personal information and stored assets.
- Master password security.
9. ImToken Wallet
It is a 100% free decentralised application with great compatibility with ETH, BTC, EOS, LTC, ERC-20 and ERC-223 tokens. ImToken allows users to access the blockchain through a passphrase, formed by the use of words in the form of mnemonics, i.e. short sentences consisting of the association of compound words.
On the other hand, this wallet has support for storing crypto-collectibles such as ERC-721 and ERC-1155 tokens, making it an alternative to Metamask for Axie Infinity players. Last and not least, it is the world’s largest Ethereum-based asset wallet; which handles 10% of the total transaction volume of the Ethereum blockchain.
- Available for a wide variety of Android and iOS mobile operating system versions.
- Compatibility with a wide variety of cryptographic tokens.
- Ease of access in case of forgotten or lost passwords.
In the crypto-ecosystem, there are a variety of wallets to choose from; which may be better suited to certain activities. For example, some are ideal for hiding the fingerprint, some have excellent security mechanisms, and others have better options for storing NFT. For these reasons, it is essential to analyse the transactions you will perform with your tokens and the characteristics of your tokens so that you can choose the alternative that best suits your needs.
As with any digital activity, it is essential that you follow the appropriate security protocols according to the wallet you have chosen, so that no outsider has access to your tokens, you can access them securely and you have the tools to retrieve them in case of loss. Therefore, when evaluating the features of the best wallets to store tokens, consider also the security options available.