Hotmail Sign In: Access The Mail Inbox Directly
Direct sign in or access your Hotmail email account -now called Outlook- and open the inbox is very simple. Accessing email with the address @outlook.com, @hotmail.com and others provided by Outlook requires you to enter your login details on the official Outlook or Hotmail website (https://outlook.live.com/).
Regardless of your reason for checking email, entering www.outlook.com or www.hotmail.com (it should be noted that the name Hotmail has changed to Outlook, however, the old addresses are still used on the new site) is a simple operation that can be done from the browser, employing the smartphone or computer. You can also log into Hotmail / Outlook using the app available for Android and iOS. Below, at InfoCuentas, we will help you access your inbox, step by step.
Log in to Outlook / Hotmail from the web or computer
Note: Did you find this article due to login issues? If so, we suggest that you read the article recover an Outlook or Hotmail account and follow the instructions in it. If you want to log in and already have the login details, continue reading below.
The web platform from the browser is the most used to access the Outlook or Hotmail email. Access can be done from the browser of the computer as well as from the smartphone. The steps to be followed are as follows:
- Go to https://www.outlook.com and click on “Sign In”. If you have logged in before on the same device, the login page will appear directly. You can also go directly to the login page at https://login.live.com.
- Enter your email address and click on “Next”.
- Enter your account password and then click on “Login”.
- Once you have entered all the data correctly, you will be directed to your email inbox.
Did you have any problems or errors when logging in? Continue reading the article or follow our step by step guide to recover an Outlook account.
How to sign in directly to your Outlook.com / Hotmail.com inbox
To directly enter your Outlook or Hotmail inbox, simply login to the service; after this, you will be directed to the list of received messages, the section also known as “inbox”.
- Go to https://outlook.live.com/owa/?nlp=1 to sign in to your Outlook or Hotmail account.
- Enter your email address and click “Next”.
- Enter your password and click “Login”.
- You will then be directed to your Outlook email inbox.
- If you have logged into your account but are not directed to this section, you can access it directly from https://outlook.live.com/mail/inbox or by clicking “Inbox” on the left panel.
- Signing in to Outlook / Hotmail from the smartphone app
Outlook (or Hotmail, as you want to call it) has a smartphone app that can be installed on your device, whether it’s Android or iOS. The following are the steps to sign in from the official Outlook app.
Download the app from the appropriate Apps store.
- After installation, open the app and click “Start”.
- In the “Add Account” section, enter the Outlook email address you have registered, then click “Continue”. This application also accepts emails from other providers such as Yahoo and Gmail.
- Enter your email account password. Then click “Sign In”.
- If you don’t want to add another account, click “Ignore”.
That’s it! You will see your Outlook inbox from the application.
Once you have added your Outlook or Hotmail account in the official application, it is recommended to activate the notifications in order to be aware of all the messages received in your inbox. You can also access your email directly from the smartphone browser by typing the address outlook.com in your favourite browser.
Problems signing in Hotmail: what to do?
Problems may occur when logging in, but don’t worry; this is very common. In general, if you have forgotten your password or email address, there are ways to regain access to the account, provided you have filled in the recovery information when creating the account. We will mention the most frequent problems:
Forgotten password: when trying to access your inbox, an incorrect password error message may appear, making it impossible for you to access your account. Reset your password by accessing the hyperlink https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx. You must have recovery information configured in your account.
You have not obtained the security code: if you have no way of verifying your identity, go to https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx, enter your e-mail address and click on the link “I do not have one”. Then follow the steps to recover your account.
Account locked for 30 days: if Microsoft detects that your account has been compromised, it will likely ask you to change your security and account recovery information, after which there will be a 30-day security lapse before you can log in again. This is an extreme case, but it can happen.
Active two-step verification: If you have enabled two-step verification, you must use the corresponding application password to sign in.
Locked profile: Outlook locks accounts that have not complied with its usage policies or that have been compromised. To regain access, you must follow the SMS verification steps.
Travelling or logging in from another device: Outlook may consider login activity as suspicious if you try to log in from a different device or from a different location; to be able to log in under such circumstances you need to verify your identity by the SMS or recovery email method.
Tips for safe login on Hotmail Email
Most account theft occurs due to carelessness when logging into the Outlook service or any other service that requires entering a password through the keyboard. For that reason, we have some tips to make logging into your account as secure as possible, preventing the loss of the account and it ending up in the hands of malicious people.
Make sure that the address of the page where your data will be introduced is official: the Microsoft email service can only be accessed through the following official addresses: live.com, outlook.com, hotmail.com, microsoft.com, msn.com and also through the login, account or mail.x.com subdomain (being “x” one of the addresses previously mentioned). Check that the address in the browser is one of them; if something strange appears, like 1-outlook.com, stop! It may be a phishing attempt.
Keep your antivirus software activated and updated. Antivirus and anti-malware software is very important for detecting malicious programs that collect sensitive information like passwords; keep them up to date!
If you’re not using your computer, log out when you’re done. Don’t make the mistake of leaving your session open on devices you don’t own; other people could access your email!
Change your password regularly; if you need help with this, check out our article on how to change your Hotmail password.
Enjoy the service that Microsoft provides for free without any problems by following the tips we have just passed on to you.
What is Outlook and what are the differences with Hotmail?
Outlook is one of the most used e-mail services on the Internet, as we already explained at the beginning of this article. Creating an account in this service allows you to access several services offered by Microsoft, such as Skype, OneDrive, Office 360, among others.
If your email is @hotmail.com, it is almost certain that you will find it strange to have to enter the Outlook mail. However, you need to know that Microsoft changed the name of the service from Hotmail to Outlook in the year 2012, though the transition was effective only in the year 2013. This Microsoft email service has gone through several names previously: Hotmail, MSN Hotmail, Windows Live Hotmail and Outlook.com. For this reason, Hotmail can appear on different domains:
- Mail.live.com: Live.com belongs to Microsoft and there are several Outlook emails registered under the address @live.com.
- MSN.com: When you access Microsoft’s MSN.com site, a direct link to the e-mail services will appear. MSN stands for “Microsoft Network”.
- Hotmail.com: the classic address that has existed since the service was launched in 1996.
- Outlook.com: the new address that is maintained until today.
- Microsoft.com: it is Microsoft’s main domain. On certain occasions, it is possible that a Microsoft page asks for your Hotmail or Outlook data.
- Microsoft has also acquired regional domains for its email service, as in the case of hotmail.com.mx, hotmail.es, outlook.com.mx, among other domains available for users who wish to create an account from certain countries.
It is important that you know this information in order to avoid confusion or doubts when accessing Microsoft’s e-mail service.
If you find any trouble while logging into your Hotmail account, then do let us know. Drop your comments below!