How Much Internet Data Does Spotify Consume
Spotify is an application to listen to all kinds of music while you are doing other activities, or during parties. It has millions of playlists and various entertainment podcasts for all ages. You can download the app both on your phone and on your computer, and it requires an Internet connection to work. If you use it on your phone and wonder how much Internet data Spotify consumes, this article is of total interest.
If you do not have the Premium subscription, both to listen to music and to download your playlists you will need data consumption or Internet access. Here you will find a way to reduce the data, and how to calculate the expense according to the options chosen on the platform. In the same way, you will know how many MBs you will spend listening to songs for an hour or more.
Internet data consumption per song on Spotify
The data consumed by each song varies according to the duration and the quality with which you are listening. If you have a high quality it will consume many more megabytes. On the other hand, if you choose a normal quality, the use of the data will be minimized.
Typically a 3-minute song in a standard format consumes 2MB. Now, if you want to know specifically how much you spend according to the quality you choose, take a look at this list:
- Low quality: it has a speed of 24kbps. It is the lowest among all the qualities.
- Normal quality: it is the format that is used most frequently among users due to its saving capacity. It has a speed of 96kbps, so it consumes around 0.72MB per minute.
- Automatic quality: it is an alternative to not worry about the amount of data you can spend since it adapts to the connection you have, although it is not less than 96kbps.
- High quality: streaming can reach up to 160kbps, and per minute it can reach 1.2MB.
- Very high quality: this is an option that is advisable to use when you have a good data plan, a high-end phone with an extraordinary sound and quality headphones as this way you can differentiate the different options. This quality has a speed of 320kbps and 2.4MB per minute of the song.
If you use Spotify for an hour or two a day while on the way to work or coming home, it is normal that you want to know how much data the application consumes. In this way, you can modify the MB plan you use in order to enjoy all the songs that the platform offers you. And if you intend to purchase Spotify plays, choose sites wisely.
Consumption per hour also varies depending on the streaming quality you have configured. To know how much you would spend per hour will be explained in this list:
- Low quality and automatic: you can spend up to 40MB per hour if you use this streaming.
- High quality: by activating this quality you can consume 72MB per hour.
- Very high quality: It is the format that consumes the most since by using the application for one hour it will consume around 150MB.
It is necessary to emphasize that this data consumed in Spotify is quite competitive compared to other applications such as YouTube or SoundCloud. Using the lowest YouTube quality consumes up to 100MB per hour. On the other hand, the platform has the option (Premium) to download the songs to save MB and listen to all the downloaded tracks or playlists without an Internet connection.
According to the quality and the number of hours you spend weekly, you can make the monthly calculation of the MB consumed by listening to songs on Spotify. On the other hand, if you use the same songs, the platform has a cache memory so it will not consume the tracks you listened to previously.
Now, in the next list that you will see below, you will see how much you consume per month if you listen to the songs on Spotify for one or two hours a day:
- Automatic and low quality: can consume from 1.2GB to 2.4GB. You can listen to between 400 to 1500 songs.
- High quality: from 2GB to 4GB per month. With this consumption, you can listen to up to 240 songs.
- Very high quality: between 4.5GB up to 9GB per month if you use the application one or two hours a day. By using so many megabytes with this quality, you will only be able to listen to around 120 songs.
Once you observe this data, you will be able to have an idea of how many megabytes you need per month and which service you should hire on your current telephony. You can evaluate the different promotions that many telephone companies have, as they offer up to unlimited GB according to the rate you choose during the month.
How to reduce the data usage on Spotify
By changing the streaming quality in the application settings, you can reduce data consumption on your phone. In this way, you can extend your MB plan and use them for other apps that require it. If you want to reduce the amount of data you consume when listening to your playlists on Spotify, you just have to follow these simple steps:
- Enter Spotify and click on the settings gear.
- Go to “Music quality”.
- Choose between “Automatic, Low, Normal, High and Very High”.
Saving data consumption on Spotify
It is possible to activate the option “Data saving”, which will help you to deactivate the reproduction of loops and brief visual effects (canvas) and reduce the consumption of megabytes while listening to songs. To enable this option, look at these steps:
- Open Spotify and go to Settings.
- Find ” Playback.”
- Slide and uncheck the “Canvas” option.
By doing these steps, you can learn how to reduce data consumption on Spotify. This way you will take advantage of your data plan for other applications. Similarly, it has been detailed how many MB Spotify spends according to the quality and the hours invested listening to your songs, podcasts, or playlists.