Videos are an important part of the strategies in networks and the presence that you have in them, but many times we forget something very important: to put subtitles to a video.
Subtitling a video can make a difference and help to have a strong impact on the results because it becomes accessible to many more people.
The problem is that sometimes we don’t know how to subtitile videos, but stop worrying because in this guide we are going to show you how to do this process in a very simple way, both on Instagram, YouTube and other platforms.
1. Advantages of subtitiling videos
There are many reasons to choose to subtitle a video. Some of the advantages offered by this action are:
According to data from the World Health Organisation, more than 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling deafness and more than 1.5 billion people live with some degree of hearing loss.
Without subtitles, a significant proportion of people cannot access videos and content in this format. Subtitling a video helps to reach more people and be inclusive.
#Convenience or preference
A study by Verizon Media found that 69% of people prefer to watch the video without sound when they are in a public space and 25% prefer to do so even when they are in private spaces.
Also, more than 80% of people said they would prefer a video with subtitles rather than without. Regardless of the environment or medium in which it is viewed.
Subtitling a video helps to better understand and communicate what is meant to be communicated through it. There are different ways of learning and many prefer to read and not listen.
By placing subtitles on a video, they have different options and we make sure that they can capture the essence of the video we are posting on social networks or any other media.
#Breaking language barriers
The internet makes it possible to reach many corners of the world, but languages often make it difficult to communicate effectively through video. Subtitles are essential to connect with people from other places.
You can subtitle a video in the original language and in translation, depending on the places or countries where you receive the most visits, so you can choose the language with the greatest presence.
SEO (search engine optimisation) is important for websites because it helps to get better results and reach more people through Google and other search engine rankings.
Google indexes subtitles added to videos, which has an impact on SEO. But only those that are added by hand, not those that are added automatically on YouTube, for example.
In order to caption a video on Twitter, you need the video and a separate caption file for your video. The procedure is as follows.
- Upload the video via Twitter Media Studio and click on Upload media in the top right corner (the length cannot be longer than 2 minutes 20 seconds).
- Create subtitles in SRT format. You can use the free Subtitle Edit programme to form the text blocks.
- Verify the text. SRT files are absolutely readable, so just check that the text is correct and that the subtitles are in the right order.
- Select Media Detail to access the expanded menu of the video and click on the Subtitles tab.
- Choose the SRT file for the subtitles and when it loads, tweet the video. If there are any errors in the subtitles, you are free to edit the SRT file.
3. How to put subtitles on a YouTube video
It’s very easy to put subtitles on a YouTube video. You can check it out right now. Check out the steps.
- Once you have made your video, just upload the video file.
- Go to the YouTube video editor.
- There go to the subtitles panel and click on add new subtitles. You can search for the language from the bar or choose one from the drop-down menu.
- View the translation made automatically on YouTube and edit it if necessary and save it.
In case you want to make the subtitles manually:
- Step 1. Select Upload a file and choose subtitle file.
- Step 2. Choose the file and click Upload.
- Step 3. Verify that they look correct and make changes if necessary.
- Step 4. When you are ready, click Save.
#Captions on IGTV
To add captions on Instagram to your IGTVs on Instagram, you need to do the following:
- Go to your IG account and go to your profile.
- Click on Settings and go to Account.
- Select the Captions option and turn them on in the desired language.
- When posting your IGTV, scroll down to the bottom where it says Advanced Settings.
- Enable automatic captioning and that’s it! Your IGTVs will be captioned.
Another type of content that can now have captions is Instagram Stories and it’s actually quite simple to set them. Although they are generated automatically, you have the option to edit them to avoid mistakes.
Now we explain step by step how to add captions to your Instagram Stories.
- Open your Instagram on your mobile phone.
- Go to Stories and record your video or whatever you want to share as usual.
- Click on the Stickers section to add a sticker.
- Find the Captions sticker and select it.
- Once this is done, captions will automatically be added.
- Adjust the colour, orientation, font and all other elements.
- Click OK and share your Story!
Finally, we are going to show you how to caption videos on TikTok, one of the fastest-growing social networks in recent years and even more so with the pandemic. Let’s take a look at the process:
- Open TikTok on your device.
- Click on the drop-down menu, which is located on the top right-hand side.
- Select the Accessibility option.
- Go to Enable Closed Captioning to enable this feature.
Once this is done, all videos you upload to TikTok will load with subtitles. To disable captions, follow the same process to disable them.
6. Applications for subtitling videos
If you don’t like the idea of automatic captioning and want to do it yourself, there are also many options. We are going to show you some of the best applications to subtitle videos in a simple way.
InShot is a very versatile app that also allows you to subtitle a video. It has functions to adjust speed, add music, emojis and text. One of the great advantages is that it allows you to export videos in 1080p to Facebook, Instagram and other social networks with excellent quality.
Clipomatic is a very useful tool that converts all audio to text, which can be easily and quickly used to subtitle videos. It allows you to create subtitles with just your voice.
It also gives you the option to edit all the text to correct mistakes and make everything perfect before posting it on social networks. It is available for iOS and is one of the best options for subtitling videos.
Subtitle Edit is a perfect app if you want your videos to be subtitled and synchronised. Not only does it allow you to subtitle, but it also allows you to perfectly adjust the timing so that your subtitles are not out of sync.
This app is available in over 30 languages and over 70 formats can be used, so no matter what your video is, you can subtitle it and get everything perfectly in sync before you share your final product with the world.
Jubler is one of the most useful video subtitling apps for both correcting subtitles and creating subtitles. It has algorithms that help to optimise time mismatches and prevent videos and audio from becoming out of sync, resulting in quality products.
It also has a tool to correct spelling and make corrections and allows you to activate a translation mode. If you’re worried about the final product, don’t worry, it includes a preview function so you can make sure it’s perfect before putting it on the internet.
Good for you. Now you know different methods to put subtitles to a video on different social networks automatically or to add the subtitles yourself and give them a unique design, which, without a doubt, can give you a plus.
It’s time for you to put these tools and tips into practice and start creating accessible and inclusive content to have a greater reach on the internet. We assure you that by subtitling your content more people will see it, understand it and even share it, so what are you waiting for?
If you liked our article, don’t hesitate to share it with your friends and acquaintances. If you have any questions or want to share something with us, leave us your comments. And before you go, don’t forget to give us your five stars.