One of the things that annoy users the most is typing in your SIM PIN every time you turn on your phone. As well as being a waste of time, it’s not uncommon to forget your PIN and not be able to find the note or file where it’s written.
If you’ve experienced this kind of unpleasantness yourself, you probably want to remove the SIM PIN code prompt.
Removing the SIM PIN on your Android phone is not complicated at all, so let’s see what it’s for first and then how to remove it.
What to know about PIN first
PIN stands for Personal Identification Number, and the wording already explains the purpose of its existence. The PIN is in fact a personal identification number with a 4-digit password that is randomly created by the SIM phone operator.
However, at a later date, you can change the PIN to your liking, by choosing a password that is easy to remember. You should be aware that if you get the PIN wrong three times in a row you will cause the SIM card to be locked. The phone will still work, but you will not be able to access the services associated with the SIM card, including of course the network.
The PIN is therefore a tool that protects your card, as it prevents attackers from gaining access to your phone number, but also to the network, contacts, messages and all the sensitive information contained within the SIM.
Let’s see now how to remove the PIN from your SIM on Android.
Removing the PIN from your SIM on an Android phone
Let’s take a detailed look at how to remove the PIN from your card so that you don’t have to type it in again, bearing in mind that each version of Android may differ slightly:
- Go to your phone’s Home screen (if it’s turned off, turn it on and enter your PIN, of course) and go to the screen where you find all your apps;
- Click on Settings (you can easily recognize it by the gear icon) and then on the item that refers to Security and Privacy;
- If you scroll down, you will find the option security settings or something similar;
- Tap on Configure SIM lock or the item that refers to SIM settings.
- You will now find a switch next to the words SIM Lock. All you need to do is toggle this switch to OFF;
- All you need to do is turn this switch to OFF, re-type your PIN, and press OK.
But how can you tell if the operation is successful? You just have to pay attention to the color: if the switch is set to OFF it will be grey, whereas before it was colored.
What if you have reconsidered having the PIN and would like to reinsert it? Don’t worry, you can do this without any problems. Follow the same path again, i.e. Settings, then Security and Privacy, then More Security Settings, and Set SIM Lock. Move the famous switch from OFF to ON (watch out for the color!), type in your PIN, and press OK, so you have your PIN back.
How to change the SIM PIN on an Android phone
No, you don’t want to make such a drastic decision as removing the SIM PIN on your Android phone, not least because you’ve carefully read my information on this tool and convinced yourself of how well it protects your device.
If you really think so, you can simply change the SIM PIN to one that you can’t forget. Keeping in mind that things can change for each version of Android, click Change SIM PIN on the Lock screen in the Settings menu. Enter your current PIN, press OK, and then enter your new PIN.
Once this is complete, click OK again, enter the code again and confirm this by clicking the OK button.
How to remove your SIM PIN on iPhone
This short guide to remove the PIN on iPhone also applies to iPad, to do this you need to turn on the iPhone if it is turned off and enter the PIN, once the Home screen appears perform these steps:
- Open “Settings” the system app identified with a cog;
- Go to Mobile > SIM PIN and turn the switch to OFF;
- If you want to reactivate the PIN security feature, you need to repeat these steps from the first point and turn the switch to ON.
How to remove SIM PIN on Samsung
If you have a Samsung smartphone, the procedure is slightly different from what we’ve seen for Android smartphones but it’s still simple to do:
- Unlock your Samsung device and go to the home screen;
- On the screen where all the “drawer” applications are listed, click on Settings (gear icon);
- Tap on the Security lock screen and then on Other security settings;
- Tap on Configure Sim Lock and turn the switch to OFF;
- You will then be prompted to enter your PIN to disable the SIM PIN.
This short guide can also be applied to remove the PIN from Samsung tablets. Logically, if you want to reactivate the PIN protection, you need to repeat the operation again by turning the switch to ON.
How to remove SIM PIN on Huawei
Even on Huawei smartphones, the Pin code is requested every time you turn on the device, let’s see how to disable it:
- Go to Settings and then Security and Privacy;
- Tap on More settings > SIM lock settings and Lock SIM;
- then enter your PIN and turn the switch to OFF.
If you want to enter your PIN instead, you need to repeat the process and turn the switch to ON.
No, for security reasons you can only remove your PIN when your smartphone is switched on and after entering your device PIN.