One of the most important, but somehow overlooked, parts of starting a business and making it a success is choosing a catchy name. There are literally thousands of businesses with dull, boring names, who don’t understand that the reason that they are failing is that their names aren’t catchy. Not only can a catchy name bring business in, but it can actually help you to steal business away from your competition.
This article will present an extensive list of reasons why you need to give your business a catchy name:
In the United Kingdom, there are over 5.5 million businesses. Before you can go ahead with setting up a UK limited company, you need to choose a name that isn’t already in use. With so many businesses active, it’s not hard to see why choosing a name might be difficult. Catchy, unique names, while difficult to come up with, are less likely to already be in use. Most business names, frankly, are unoriginal and boring. In many cases, business owners choose to name their businesses after them. It’s very unlikely that there will be a business with the same name as yours if it is a product of your imagination.
Your business’s name is a cornerstone of your brand. Your company’s name is often the first thing that customers will learn about your brand. Before they learn what services you offer, they will read or hear your name. Developing your business’s brand is, for this reason, very important. If you don’t put effort into your name, then your brand will suffer. You need to meticulously plan out your business’s name. In addition to planning out your business’s name, you need to plan out a catchphrase to go along with it. A catchphrase is a very important element of a brand’s memorability. Developing a catchphrase is much the same as developing a business name. Make to incorporate your brand’s purpose and your business’s name in your catchphrase.
In addition to the points previously made, having a catchy name makes your business memorable. If your competitors all have boring, unoriginal names, your name will help you to stand out. Standing out against your competition is a very good thing, especially if your business’s industry is overrun with them. This is even more true if your direct competition has boring names and are named after their business’s founders, while yours is something unique and creative. A catchphrase can also be very useful for memorability, as already mentioned.
Tips for Naming Your Business
- Hard to spell names should be avoided. Lots of people think that catchy names need to be complex and hard to spell; this isn’t the case. Keep your business’s name as simple as possible, while making it unique and catchy. In addition to a name that is hard to spell, avoid a name that is hard to pronounce when read aloud.
- Also, avoid naming your business something that limits it. For example, if you are a business that is selling carpets, avoid mentioning carpets in your business’s name. This, in the future, could prevent you from being able to expand and sell other things. If you limit your company’s name, then you will suffer in the future.
- Conduct extensive research to make sure that your business’s name is not already in use. As we mentioned previously, there are lots of names that are already being used by other businesses. If you end up choosing a business name that is already in use, you could confuse consumers. This is especially true if the business that shares your name specialises in the same niche as you. They could end up stealing your customers.
- Business experts also advise choosing a “.com” domain name. It is well documented that consumers associate .com domain names with more professional, established businesses. You should get a .com name even if you operate in the United Kingdom or in Europe.
- When you have chosen a name, ask your friends and family for feedback. Feedback is a great way to determine whether or not a name is any good. A name might sound good to you, but it might not sound that good to your loved ones, who are ultimately the best judges, because they are impartial and unbiased.
- It is also recommended that you pick a name that is meaningful. You can name your business virtually anything, and even if you do choose a catchy name, if it is meaningless to you, then you will come to regret it. Your business is like your child. You will watch it grow and help it to become successful over the years. When your business is a success, if it isn’t named something that is meaningful to you, you will wish that you had done when you had the chance to.
Choosing a catchy name for your business is very important. It is also very difficult. In addition to explaining why choosing a name is important here, we have also included some effective tips for naming your business.